Friday 4 April 2008

Why Spain?

Worldnaut's Journal / D. 11748:

Bullfighting toreros, paella rice dish, sleeping siesta, olé!
Is that what you were looking for (please say no)? If the answer is yes, buddy, you in for a one night stand with the sharks! Away with him lads, off ye go!
Mmmm. No, on second thought let’s not do that. Oi! Get him off the plank, will ye! He is probably the one who has most to learn, and he might well be our first visitor, no good in letting him roam the seas (all of them at same time, even) sailing some fish guts, is there? No good for business at all.
Sorry, sometimes I get carried away by folklore; probably most people that work in a ship end up, sooner or later, somewhat fed up with all the stereotypes of their way of life and it just doesn’t seem fair.

It is not fair because I really enjoy eating paella every now and then, I like most flamenco music (guitar playing like Paco de Lucía’s can really move me) and, if I had the time I obviously would love to take a nap everyday after lunch (I am all against bullfighting, though; I won’t lecture you about it-not the place or the moment-but I do not believe in cruelty to animals). And yet it does vex me if I see such a vast array of possibilities and wonders as Spain offers reduced to a few stereotypes. I am not a patriot. The people of Spain are strongly divided ideologically (can’t help it, we are too young; I’m 32, almost the same age our democracy is, which is young for a person and even younger for a country: no matter how old most of our culture is, civil war is still very close in time, and wounds are still sore if not bleeding) and most right wingers take pride in being authentic patriots; I’m neither thing. I was born in Spain but I’m not proud of that because it would be like being proud of being born rich(that would have been fun, though), brown eyed, white, or as extremely handsome as I am (damn it, there is a picture in my profile!). Frankly, I don’t know which is more absurd. I love Spain, though, with a devotion that springs from having experimented it’s beauties (artistic and natural) it’s riches (economical, cultural and social) and also it’s miseries (few but existing) in all mentioned areas. It is a wondrous country, and you should come and see it for yourself.

No comments: