Friday 4 April 2008

Roadmap

Worldnaut's Journal / D. 11748:
So, where does the way lead? what is the route? I guess the answer would be "everywhere" or, at least "everywhere I can". This is: I will try to show you everywhere I've been, and my plan, in due time, is to have been everywhere. What did you say? Yes, I guess it is pretty ambitious, and yes, it probably will not happen, but I am the only one who can stop me from trying, am I not? If you think about it, however short I fall from my mark I will be far richer (if not in money) than where I started. I will die trying cos' I will be trying all my life (I have always wanted to "accomplish or die trying" it has that heroic feeling!).

As for, being more specific, the worldnaut blog, as I said in the introduction I have guided groups around Spain and Portugal, and I have been on my own to a few other places-so far the list only comprises London, Rome, Lourdes, Edinburgh, a bit of the Scottish Highland and the Isle of Skye, Havana, Grand Cayman and a bit of Jamaica (mainly part of the countryside and the cliffs at Negril). I will try to alternate different things (monuments, cities, hidden spots, blabbering digressions that at the time of writing I will consider thoughtful and worldly, who knows what else...) about different places, so hopefully the blog will not become too boring or specialized, or focused, for that matter. Again, it might just do that, this things tend to evade control, especially for me.

A word on "focusing": so far (and I am past a third of my life expectancy, maybe even half of it considering my habits!) it has proved a most elusive discipline for me: most of the time I absolutely lack said ability, so I apologize beforehand if, for some strange reason, you end up developing an interest for my writings here, and find that the blog’s continuity is anything but what you desire. If it helps (probably not) I am really motivated in this very moment.

A word on “truth and absolutes”: everything I write is as absolutely true as I can manage, at least according to William Keats’ definition of the term. I do not make things up, really, though some of the people I have taken my data, stories, legends, etc, from might. All I write is what I know or think I know and take for true: these include (but are not limited to) historical data and interpretation, names, tales, dates… I am a professional, though. My information comes from, more or less in this order, my eyes, ears and other senses, proper and serious published reference materials, lectures from local official guides, popular knowledge from local people, friends whose criteria I trust that might point out some things I missed to me and, last but not least, personal thoughts, impressions and considerations. So I will feel really bad if you feel disappointed on site for some discrepancies (I really hope that will not happen), but no apologies for that one, sorry (did I just apologize por not apologizing? See about the focusing!?)

Well, I believe this is long enough for a first introductory entry; don’t want to get you bored so soon. Welcome all to the Worldnaut, I hope she cuts the waves as gracefully as she rocks gently in port

No comments: